How do you track document changes?

Subject: How do you track document changes?
From: "Yukman, Bethann SLC" <BYukman -at- SLCPO2 -dot- SLC -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 16:06:00 MST

Hi. We are looking for a little advice --

The Unisys PI group in Salt Lake City has been re-engineered from 21 writers
to 7. We need a new process that ensures and tracks changes requested by
engineers, but still reduces paperwork, review cycles, and process time.

Our old process used four milestones: document design, draft review,
software test review, and final review. This worked well for a long
development cycle. However, with reduced manpower and a highly compressed
timeline, it is impractical.

Software engineers suggest that we conduct a line by line review of changes
during inspection meetings (like they do when introducing new software
code). This is
time-intensive, and is not appropriate for editorial changes (for grammar,
clarity, and so on).

Another suggestion is to review all proposed changes during a consensus
meeting where everyone signs off on the document at the end of the meeting.
However, this requires all engineers to review areas of the document which
may not be relevant or germane to their contribution to the project.

If you think you have a way to track document changes that would work in a
fast-cycle, downsized environment, we would love to hear about it. Please
mention any special tools you are using, like management software or
electronic review/distribution software. You can respond either to the
Thanks in advance!!