Spamming

Subject: Spamming
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 14:46:52 EST

Text item: Text_1

cmdavis asks:

> I know of Paul Trummel's postings, but what it "Spam?" I had never
> heard that term before. Can someone educate me?

I've heard a few different theories on the use of the word "spam".
Someone on this list said it came from the idea of dropping spam into
a fan (it would go everywhere).

However, the author of the ROADMAP workshops, Patrick Crispen (whom I
trust about matters such as this), says the following:

"It's possible, even easy, to get a list of every Usenet newsgroup and
publicly accessible LISTSERV list. With very little thought, you can
convert the list into a program that will mail the same message to
every single one of these groups."

"Doing this is called "spamming", after the Monty Python sketch quoted
above." -Patrick Crispen

He goes on to say that three such mailings have been successful. One
said the end of the world was coming, another advertised the services
of his lawfirm in the "Green Card Lottery" message, and the third,
entitled "MAKE.MONEY.FAST" was the Usenet equivalent of a chain
letter.

He goes on with the following advice on "What To Do When You See A
Spam":

-never reply to the group (the spammer won't read it and the rest of
the list will get annoyed)

-reply to the poster at his own mailbox (however, sometimes spammers
hit and run--they may have already closed out their accounts)

-if you're angry at the spammer, write to the administrator of his
site. If the spammer is monkey -at- zoo -dot- com his administrator is
postmaster -at- zoo -dot- com

-or, you can mailbomb, which consists of sending lots of e-mail until
his site or account crashes. This is a very bad idea. Lots of innocent
users will also be affected by the crash.

IMO, the best thing to do is either ignore it or write to their
postmaster and (hopefully) have their Internet account revoked.

-Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- smtpgw -dot- liebert -dot- com
Columbus, OH