Consecutive vs Chapter Pagination

Subject: Consecutive vs Chapter Pagination
From: ART_ELSER -at- HP0800 -dot- DESK -dot- HP -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 13:16:00 -0700

Several years ago, Hewlett-Packard published a new book development
system called the Editorial Design System (EDS) EDS initally asked
HP writers to use consecutive page numbering because users in focus
groups and in testing found it easier to use. Additionally, we
recommended that books be designed around die-cut tabs, another
feature that user testing showed made for quicker access to books.

However, we found that when you mix consecutive page numbering with
die-cut tabs, you get lots of trouble. The tabs get in the way of
flipping through the book to find a page number because you have no
idea of what chapter to start looking in. When there are no tabs in
the way, consecutive page numbering does make it easier to find a
particular page you are looking for.

We changed our recommendation to writers at HP to say that books
without die-cut tabs should have consecutive page numbering and
books with die-cut tabs should have chapter numbering (3-15).
The tabs make finding the right chapter very easy, and then the
reader essentially has consecutive page numbering within the chapter.

"What about bleed tabs?" you might ask. One HP division did some
testing on the speed of access on books with die-cut tabs. For a
control, they used the same books, but with bleed tabs. As you
might guess, the tabs provided much faster access. But, when asked
how much the bleed tabs helped in finding information, not one of the
subjects had even noticed them. That seems to indicate bleed tabs
aren't worth the effort. (I'd like to hear form anyone who has data
supporting or contradicting this one example. We are trying to get
rid of bleed tabs in our books.)

Art Elser
HP Colorado Springs
art-elser -at- hp0800 -dot- hp -dot- com