Re. Revision bars

Subject: Re. Revision bars
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 08:37:49 LCL

Al Wilson wondered <paraphrase> if there was any standard for the use
of revision bars. Frankly, I find them damn near useless for most
editing I do. If I used revision bars, each page would have a thin red
vertical line running down the left margin and sometimes even down the
right margin too! <grin>

I imagine they'd be useful in light editing, but I don't get to do
much of that. The rumor where I work is that I get paid by the gallon
(of red ink), and I've gone to no great trouble to disabuse them of
this notion. I have a cartoon pinned up in my office taken from the
comic strip "Shoe", that goes something like this: "My editor and I
have an understanding: I write what _I_ want, and he throws out what
he wants [Shoe throws the manuscript right into the garbage, unread]"
If you can find any of his collections Jeff MacNelly obviously knows
much of the writer/editor relationship.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <---safety glasses for dealing with irate
authors!