Re: A Question of TECHWR-L Netiquette---Is permission required to forward responses to posts??...

Subject: Re: A Question of TECHWR-L Netiquette---Is permission required to forward responses to posts??...
From: RoseCrowe <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 13:26:07 -0700

> give tacit approval to reuse opinions, discussion, etc, by putting these "in
the
> public domain" on the List? After all, public figures are quoted all the time
> (many times out of context, and much to their dismay) in the media, why
> shouldn't tech writers? (with reference to where the quote came from, of
> course.)

This question has come up numerous times on other lists I
have participated in. Each time, the upshot seems to be
that posting to the list legally gives implicit permission
for the reposting to the same list. (The analogy would be
sending a letter addressed to a group or a company. Anyone
in the group or company can read or copy the letter for use
of anyone else in the group or company without breaking copy
right law.) However, re-publishing in another venue, whether
it is the press, a book, or another list, requires permission
by the writer to be legal.

There are definitive copyright information sources on USENET.
Does anyone out there know where they are?

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
******
People inadvertently in the wrong time stream need food, clothing,
shelter, job training, and socio-cultural re-training. Please
send check, money order, credit card number, or glyph to:
Victims of Temporal Displacement, PO Box 1995-TLDA42,
Circumvention, CA-AZ 85299 or VOTD -at- circumvention -dot- com
*****
DISCLAIMER: My opinion has very little to do with reality.