Re[2]: chapter-based numbering

Subject: Re[2]: chapter-based numbering
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 08:14:00 -0600

First, why is sequential numbering any easier other than habit? I
just tried using the index in books numbered both ways, and I
cannot see a difference in speed or functionality between using
sequential or chap numbered pages. Using the TOC I found chapter
numbering easier. [Real broad test, huh?]

Sequential numbering is easier than habit because I can look at a page number
and make a judgement about how far ahead I need to jump from where I'm at. With
chapter numbering, I have no clue at all. I would have loved to watch your
"test" in action. Sequential numbering lets me find things considerably faster
when I'm working from a good index. (I've some BBN manuals where the index tells
you a page that's within 10 pages or so of the term you're looking for, and that
doesn't help much at all.) Guess it stems from treating books as either random-
access or sequential devices.

I'm *real* curious as to how chapter-based could be easier from the TOC than the
index. In both cases, you're given a page number and you need to go to it. How
could it be harder when the page number was found in the TOC than when it was
found in the Index? That's something that makes no sense to me at all. Does that
mean if you had the page number written on your desk blotter, it would make the
access even faster?

Even given your index "test" result that chapter numbering was as fast as
sequential numbering, doesn't that mean that sequential numbering is to be
preferred? If chapter fans like yourself find no difference in performance and
sequential fans like me find sequential faster, then using sequential numbering
will not slow down your users, but will make some faster. A benefit for some
users with no corresponding loss to others. Seems like an easy choice to me.

Some books don't put chapter information in the headers. So what? That's a bad
design decision, just like not sequentially numbering the pages. Like you, I
like to have the chapter information as well, but unlike you, I don't think it's
more important than the page number.

Why do I want the chapter title in the heading? Because it helps me make some
other decisions. If I find that I'm constantly searching for information in the
same chapter, I'll decide to (re)read that chapter (yes, I use products without
reading the manuals sometimes -- getting to be more often). Or perhaps the
chapter name will trigger an association with another problem I'm having
(serendipity is a major source of information for me) and I'll scan (or even
read) the chapter looking for help.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24