Re: The "Tell them once up front" style

Subject: Re: The "Tell them once up front" style
From: Howard <howardg -at- SAVVY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 08:42:01 -0500

Arthur Comings wrote:
>>I'd love to be able to write in the
"Tell them once up front and it's their fault if they don't remember"
documentation style, but I think that's for our convenience, and
doesn't let readers define how they actually interact with manuals.

Thjis is very true. My feelijng is that a reader is looking in a tech
manual because they feel or fear that their job is in jeopardy. Telling
them that "This was reviewed earlier", without specific references to
chapter and verse, only hieghtens their frustration. The reader will also
blame the document for the problem, anyway.

-Howard howardg -at- savvy -dot- com