From contract to full-time

Subject: From contract to full-time
From: Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 07:43:15 -0500

Hi all --

I'm in a quandary. I'm working as a contractor for a small company that is
about to make me an offer for full-time employment. I make more as a
contractor than they can pay me if I work full-time; the question is how
much less should I accept as a full-time employee?
Presumably they'll offer medical insurance, so that'll count for something;
and they'll be paying the other half of my social security, which I can give
a value to. But is there some standard way of figuring how much of a cut to
accept in return for the security of employment?

All your thoughts on this are welcome.

--JS

Joanna Sheldon
Technical Writer, Translator
(French, German, Italian)
cjs10 -at- cornell -dot- edu

"A language is a dialect with an army and a navy." -- Max Weinreich