Re: chapter-based numbering

Subject: Re: chapter-based numbering
From: John McDermott <jjm -at- JKINTL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 11:20:30 PST

> Yes, we use them to make things easier when there are changes
> to the manuals. We also start numbering over again on the
> first page of each chapter. (That is, 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, new chapter:
> 2-1, 2-2, 2-3...)

> This way, if there is a change to chapter 1 that affects the
> number of pages in that chapter, chapter 2 does not also need to
> be reprinted.

>Can I say that I *hate* that practice, as a user? I know all the production
>advantages of it. But truth is, it makes it much more difficult to find
things
>in the manual.
><stuff deleted>

As a user can I say that I *really like* that practice? I *hate* the blank
pages, but I really like the chap-page numbering format. When I open a book
to page 6-7 I know I'm in Chapter 6, the chapter on whatsits. I likewise
know to go forward to Chapter 9 the chapter on thingies. If I open to page
110, the question is, "what chapter is this." Some books do not have
headers and/or footers with chapter and section headings: it is just a
reality.

Please, keep up the chapter style numbering, but throw out the blank pages.

BTW, it is *so* interesting how human factors design in documentation
creates different opinions. I mean, there is no "right" way as there are
different opinions as to what is best. This helps make this business fun...

--john
>Have fun,
>Arlen
>Chief Managing Director In Charge, Department of Redundancy Department
>DNRC 24

>Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- Com
>In God we trust; all others must provide data.

Name: John McDermott
E-mail: jjm -at- jkintl -dot- com (John McDermott)
Voice: +1 505/377-6293 FAX: +1 505/377-6313