Re: Re[2]: Productivity of Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Productivity of Technical Writers
From: Howard <howardg -at- SAVVY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 12:13:06 -0500

Basically, bosses in all workplaces do not have a clue as to what their
staff actually _does_. Complicate this ignorance by many folks' perception
that ANYONE can write ("afterall, I have a pen, a PC and a dictionary,
too"), and we have a double-whammy. My father thinks I have a TV-Dad job,
because so many "dads" on TV are writers -- and they do all day is solve
family problems and look stupid. What a rep to overcome!

>The reality of technical writing, which comes
> down, it seems to me, to at least 35% creating and maintaining
relationships
> with info providers/reviewers, 40% staring off into the distance--thinking
> about how I'm going to structure the information, and a mere 25% writing.

> Oh well...guess I need to do some FACE time!

The thing is . . . we SHOULDN'T have to! management should look at what
we produce and whether or not we meet deadlines -- not how BUSY we look!
There must be a way to deal with this . . . Anyone want to try the media?
*grin*