Re: A Question of TECHWR-L Netiquette

Subject: Re: A Question of TECHWR-L Netiquette
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 08:51:00 -0600

o Are posted responses considered fair game for
compilation/redistribution without permission of the originator?

No.

o Are responses sent directly to a poster (that is, not via the
list) also considered fair game?

This may not be a question of netiquette as legality. I'm not sure if email has
achieved the status of written letters yet, but I think it has, and you may not
publish correspondance without the permission of the writer. (Interesting legal
dichotomy, that. The letters are physically the property of the receiver, but
the words on them are the property of the sender.)

o What about subsequent publication in a document or another list?
Is permission required for use of responses to posts in another
forum or in print?

Might be legally required. Certainly is ethically required.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24