Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages

Subject: Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 12:32:45 MST

Bill Amos wrote--

>I like to start chapters on the right page exclusively because most
people flip through the pages of a book ("fanning" is the word?)
keeping an eye on the right page. At least, that's been my experience.
I don't consider it a waste to have an occasional blank page.

As far as I can figure, "fanning" is the only reason to consider
starting chapters exclusively on one side or the other. So if
that's the primary method of navigation you expect your readers
to use, then it's certainly worth keeping those blank pages in
there.

>Incidentally, does anyone still write "This Page Intentionally Left
Blank" on those blank pages? Could someone explain why it's done?
I'm always tempted to write "This Page Accidentally Left Blank", but
I've got a family and bills and I need to stay employed....

I think you've answered your own question. A completely blank
page (not counting headers and footers) begs for the assumption
that something was accidentally left out. By adding the line
"This page intentionally left blank," you are reassuring your
readers that their manual is complete and nothing got screwed up
in the print process.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=