Re: Productivity of Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Productivity of Technical Writers
From: RoseCrowe <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 15:19:16 -0700

On Sat, 11 Mar 1995, Marcia Coulter wrote:

> John Eldard (<JOHN -at- SLC -dot- UNISYSGSG -dot- COM>) asked:

> >In an 8-hour period, how productive do you think a tech writer or
> >editor or illustrator can be? Is it practical to think that since a
> >corporation is paying a technical communicator for 8 hours of work that
> >every time the supervisor looks in on your cube you must be busily
> >writing, editing? How fast would you burn out at that rate?

> At least at my desk, writing can look like I'm doing nothing at all.
> (Thinking is not the most visible of activities.) And my clients are
> just fine with that. To even the most staid organization, the results
> are what counts.

I have worked for some organizations where looking busy got you
more points than producing. It took me some years to realize
I'm more happy in organizations where it's the other way around.
(I used to think it was me!)

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
******
People inadvertantly in the wrong time stream need food, clothing,
shelter, job training, and socio-cultural re-training. Please
send check, money order, credit card number, or glyph to:
Victims of Temporal Displacement, PO Box 1995-TLDA42,
Circumvention, CA-AZ 85299 or VOTD -at- circumvention -dot- com
*****
DISCLAIMER: My opinion has very little to do with reality.