Re: [INDEX] Comma Usage

Subject: Re: [INDEX] Comma Usage
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 14:54:29 EST

who said:

> I add an index entry for every screen element that's referenced in the
> document. Should I add this entry as:
> Screen element, window
> Screen element, push button
> etc.

> or

> Screen element window
> Screen element push button
> etc.

Josee -- I'm not sure I know what you mean. Could you give me an example
of what you mean by a *screen element*?

I'm inclined to say that using the comma makes the index entry clearer.
Without the comma, readers may assume that the topic you're referring to
is the "window" or to the "push button" (and that "screen element" is
simply a modifier).

Lori Lathrop ----------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services, P.O. Box 808, Georgetown, CO 80444