Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages

Subject: Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages
From: Bill Amos <bpa1 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 10:44:53 +0800

Beverly Parks writes:

----- Begin Included Message -----

Does anyone still (or has anyone ever) use intentional blank
pages in a document? You know, the kind that say "This page
intentionally left blank." I know their purpose is to even up
the number of pages in a chapter so that the next chapter can
start on the right facing page. (As opposed to the left, but
let's not get into *that* again.)

We've been using them in our manuals, but I'm beginning to see
them as being very wasteful and unnecessary. So what if a
chapter starts on the left! The environmentalist in me has
already removed them from the next version of the manual, but I
was wondering what others are doing?

----- End Included Message -----

I like to start chapters on the right page exclusively because most
people flip through the pages of a book ("fanning" is the word?)
keeping an eye on the right page. At least, that's been my experience.
I don't consider it a waste to have an occasional blank page.

Incidentally, does anyone still write "This Page Intentionally Left
Blank" on those blank pages? Could someone explain why it's done?
I'm always tempted to write "This Page Accidentally Left Blank", but
I've got a family and bills and I need to stay employed....

Bill Amos
Objective Systems Integrators
Folsom, CA