Re ADMIN: Subject-line tags

Subject: Re ADMIN: Subject-line tags
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 08:17:50 MST

Rebecca Filardo wrote--

I think we should just start with making a point of putting
our own labels in our subject lines. It would soon become
apparent which ones were most popular and worked best. If
necessary, after a few months we could raise the question of
standardisation again.

In the meantime, if people post stuff
without a label where other people think there should be one,
they can be gently reminded. New people could have the idea
explained to them.
======

I'm with Rebecca on this. I do see using labels as a benefit to
everyone, but at the same time I don't think we need to push
for a standard. What are we going to do with people who don't
use the "prescribed" list of labels--kick them off the list? I
think not.

If we all make a concerted effort to start using labels, a
standard will naturally develop. Others (I hope) will see the
benefit and start using them as well.

I don't even think Rebecca's suggestion of a gentle reminder is
necessary. Even the gentlest reminder will be misinterpreted by
some, and flame wars will ensue. Let's try leading by setting
the example, first.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=