Re[1]: 'author' as a verb

Subject: Re[1]: 'author' as a verb
From: SANDRA CHARKER <scharker -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 22:14:57 +1000

Ummm... I don't really get it either. But shades of meaning are often not very
get-able.

If an appeal to usage means anything, after I posted that msg I came across
this definition in a 1989 book, Shneiderman, Ben & Kearsley, Greg
_Hypertext Hands-On!_:

"authoring is the term used to describe the creation of hypertext databases.
There a number of authoring principles to be followed in organizing document
and deciding how to link them together..."

Maybe it's not that "to author" makes the process of structuring a document,
etc., more evident. It's that the process of structuring is more explicit for
hypertext documents, etc., and people are looking for a different word because
"to write" doesn't include that explicit process.

Maybe??

Sandra Charker

From: Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>