Re: Productivity of Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Productivity of Technical Writers
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 10:28:56 PST

I had a supervisor, now a successful independent consultant, who insisted
that writing was too intense to maintain for more than six hours a day.

I don't know about that, but I do know that, after any longish session
of intricate writing, I'm not good for much for the rest of the day.
Intricate writing (especially marketing writing and introductions,
where words count, and implications are as important as the
statements themselves) also interferes with my ability to speak --
my conversation will be laced with random Spoonerisms for the rest of
the day.

Also, the period between initial research and actual writing is
critical to my success. I used to think I was just procrastinating,
but the time I spend pacing, wandering, and generally avoiding the
keyboard is when I internalize the basic approach for a document. I
can write without doing this, but the words are cold and forced, and
they get written very slowly.

Of course, some things are easier to write than others. When writing
about a not-very-complicated subject that I'm very familiar with, I
can reel off finished prose like there's no tomorrow. My record
is 7,500 words per day. I can't do this with serious technical
writing. I'm lucky to be one-tenth as productive with marketing
writing.

(Your mileage may vary, of course. My marketing writing is very
serious business, while my magazine articles are fairly lightweight
affairs -- more anecdotal than anything. Some people reverse these
approaches, and their magazine articles will be what knocks them out.)

Anyway, I think that managers who expect people to be staring into
their monitors eight hours a day are fooling themselves. The carpal-
tunnel-relatied medical bills alone argue against this.

-- Robert

---
Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215

"Just cut a few notes and it will be perfect."