Re: FW: Tests to Select Competent Writers (fwd)

Subject: Re: FW: Tests to Select Competent Writers (fwd)
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 12:41:00 PST

At 10:19 AM 3/9/95 -0600, Bill Burns wrote:
>Rosie Wilcox said:

>>>This is fascinating guys! Have you ever read the books by
>Deborah Tannen (spelling of name?) about communicating between
>men and women? She says that men tend to communicate based
>on status and competition and women based on cooperation and
>building relationships. Each of you demonstrates these concepts
>beautifully.

>Well, that's one perception. Isn't it possible that Robert's suggestion also
>suggests an element of cooperation? Perhaps its simply a matter of cooperating
>according to different values. If these values are gender-based, then the
>competition/cooperation dichotomy would be illusory and symptomatic of the
>real issue--separate value systems.

>BTW, not all men operate under that status-competition value system.
============
Interesting discussion. BTW, I attended a presentation this week by a women
who write software doc for kids games. She found that girls read the
instructions, boys don't. Does that mean that women make better TWs or that
we should gear our writing to a female audience?

Technical Writer/Trainer TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr. Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"