[RANT BACK] Re: Drug Testing

Subject: [RANT BACK] Re: Drug Testing
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 12:22:00 -0600

Disagree. Do you mean *you* don't think we can resolve this in this
forum?

I *know* we can't resolve it in this forum. For the simple reason that there are
many good tech writers out there who don't mind drug testing, or who need the
work more than they mind it. (Among all the other heinous ills you cite promoted
by intrusive employers, I'll go on record as supporting a smoking ban. I enjoy
being able to breathe while I'm working -- and even while I'm not.)

Let's say you get your wish. Poof! The STC demands no drug testing or no STC
writer will work. All that happens is the STC heads for the unemployment lines,
while other good non-STC writers keep typing merrily on. Or are you demanding
the government force me to join STC? Isn't *that* even more big-brotherish than
drug testing?

Course then we'd have to actually start *being* a profession instead of a
loose agglomeration of folks with some similar tasks and job titles.

And we'll all goose-step merrily to the STC anthem, as we march gleefully off to
work:

Oh, yes! Oh Yes!
The STC knows best!
Obey its decrees and you'll be free
STC knows best!

<waddya know! It almost scans!>

FLAME ARRESTOR:
I know the STC doesn't cuurently act this way, and I'm not saying it does. This
is not a slam at the current STC or its leaders and members. What I *am* saying
is that all organizations which have the ability to compel membership do act
like this, eventually. I don't need the gov't, or corporations compelling me to
pay more of my hard-earned money to anyone. If my company wants me to join, they
should pay the membership.

Now, back to the topic.

Have fun,
Arlen