Re: Preferring STC Members

Subject: Re: Preferring STC Members
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 06:33:22 PST

>On the other hand, when *I* was unemployed, I mentioned it at STC and had a
>job offer the next day. This is not "shelling out" for membership; this is
>an investment you should not neglect any more than you would "neglect" to get
>your interview suit pressed!

>No, STC membership does not make a writer; but it does indicate a person with
>a serious interest in his/her profession.`

Agreed -- STC membership shows a likelihood that you are serious about
the NON-WRITING part of the profession. In particular, the "more money"
part. Nothing wrong with that. I'm switching over from being an
employee to being an independent consultant this summer, and I most
definitely am going to join the STC. Not because I think the
journal will clue me into bleeding-edge techniques, but for the networking
opportunities, which are the difference between success and starvation
in the consulting biz.

I don't think this attitude is unusual. Thus, I think the STC has a
high sharks-to-lifeboats ratio (the people looking for personal opportunity
outweigh the people looking for help). This can be extremely valuable,
but does tend to warp the focus away from writing qua writing.

-- Robert