Re: Testing: The Final Word

Subject: Re: Testing: The Final Word
From: Tim Giles <tgiles -at- GSVMS2 -dot- CC -dot- GASOU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:59:00 -0500

Yes, John, I do think that a professor of technical writing is competent to
design tests for technical writers, more so, say, than someone with a
degree(s) in psychology. What you may not be aware of is that many
English departments, especially those offering advanced degrees in
rhetoric and composition, the area in English departments under
which technical writing falls, often offer social science courses
so that a doctoral candidate can write a dissertation based upon
data derived from student writing samples, surveys, AND testing.

However, let me assert that I feel that a portfolio is more valuable than
any test. To reply to some other comments, I realize that a document
produced in a corporate environment is quite often a group endeavor. I have
worked as a technical writer in telecommunications, and I have a portfolio
of my work. On an interview, I can point out what my responsibilities were
in producing a document.

There is, of course, no perfect way to choose a technical writer. Just as
an engineering degree in no way guarantees a candidate's ability as an
engineer, a degree in technical writing doesn't guarantee a writer will be
one like Geoffrey Chaucer whom we have remembered for centuries for his
**Treatsie on an Astrolabe**.

Tim Giles