Stubborn TIFF File--Solution

Subject: Stubborn TIFF File--Solution
From: Paul David Marvel <marvel -at- STRAUSS -dot- UDEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 23:43:52 -0500

Whirlers:

Thank you for answering my question about the TIFF file problem--I can
import it now to both Quark and PageMaker.

The solution was acutually an easy one. My mistake was running the
UNIX2DOS command before downloading the file to my PC. This command should
only be used for text files--it strips out all the ^M's used by UNIX and,
evidently, by TIFF readers too. When I ran the command I corrupted the
file.

Muchos gracias, amigos,

-paul marvel -at- brahms -dot- udel -dot- edu

Whirlers:

I'm having troubles with a TIFF file and I'm hoping someone can help. If
you respond to me directly, I'll summarize for the list. Here's the problem:

1- I grabbed a screen on a UNIX workstation and saved it as TIFF.
2- I UNIX2DOS'ed it and put it on a 1.44 DOS floppy.
3- When I try to open it in Quark for Windows I get the message
"Unexpected end-of-file encountered [-39]."
4- PageMaker for Windows says "No image width--8101:2074."

Bonus question--are DOS TIFF files binary or hex? UNIX TIFF is hex.

Thanks for the help--it's appreciated. I need this print for a deadline.

Regards,