Proposal: Do away with "user friendly"

Subject: Proposal: Do away with "user friendly"
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 16:21:11 LCL

Beverly Parks wrote: <<Do any of you still use the term "user
friendly"? I personally think it's passe>>

I tend to agree. If the damn product is so user friendly, why do
you have to keep reminding us of this fact? If not, why lie to us...
do you think we're fools? (Don't touch that last one... a very
unintended "straight line"!)
"User friendly" _may_ have a niche in marketing materials, but it
really doesn't belong in documentation. You're probably safe in
stating "how much more friendly the new version is" in the release
notes, but thereafter, get rid of it from the documentation. I
wouldn't so much rewrite those sentences Beverly mentioned, as
eliminate them and concentrate on the features being described.
--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
(Friendly is as friendly does.)