QUERY: How much "tech" to expect from tech editors?

Subject: QUERY: How much "tech" to expect from tech editors?
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- LEMOND -dot- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 12:29:16 -0500

Hi folks -
I'm new to this list, so please bear with me if I make any
faux pas. I hope this question hasn't been hashed to death
already -- if it has, just point me to the archive!

I would like to know just how much "technical savvy" I should
be able to expect from a professional technical editor.
I am not a tech editor myself -- I'm an engineer -- so I'm
wondering whether things that seem obvious and simple to me
might not seem so obvious to a tech editor without an engineering
degree.

I understand that the tech editor
should not need to understand the theory behind the product
(analysis software in this case), or be able to use the product.
However, is it reasonable to expect the editor to understand
how the software is organized, and to understand relationships
between the nomenclature? Is it reasonable to expect that the
editor would sit with the existing manuals and learn some of
the basics?

Our company sells finite element software, and so
I'm especially interested in hearing from people
working in firms that sell engineering software
(finite element, finite difference, CAD, CAM, whatever).
But I'll certainly listen to anybody who might have some
thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200