Re. "Testing" our patience

Subject: Re. "Testing" our patience
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 08:39:23 LCL

Folks, can I blow the whistle here for a brief time out? How we got
from competency testing to drug testing, I'll never know... I just
_dabble_ in cognitive psychology. But I'd like to add a quick note:
both sides of the drug testing issue are correct, at least in part,
and because of the emotional nature of this issue, it's likely to
start a flame war and waste a lot of time for those not concerned. If
you want to talk about drug testing, change your subject line to "drug
testing". Please!
To qualify my remark: Drug and psychological testing don't amount
to a whole lot of use for technical editors. If I come to work unable
to spell and write coherent sentences, nobody is going to suffer for
it except me. (The psyche testing is pseudoscience anyways, with no
apology intended to any psyche majors out there. It doesn't work
reliably. Period.) On the other hand, I'm reserving my money for
airlines and doctors who are certified drug free... I'm likely to get
seriously damaged if this isn't the case. I'm pretty liberal (isn't
that the definition of a Canadian to you folks in the south 50
states?), but I don't feel anyone has the right to jeopardize my life
or those of my family. If you do drugs on your own time, fine, just so
long as you're sober when you come to do work that involves someone
else's life.
I don't want to get the last word here, because this is an
important debate, but could we please get back on topic and keep the
drug debate to another forum, say "alt.flame.liberals"?
--Geoff #8^{)}