Keeping subject lines short

Subject: Keeping subject lines short
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 12:57:01 PST

> Two comments: Arthur's suggestions are excellent, if:
> 1. we can make subject text concise, and
> 2. the number of replies don't push text off the right end.

> What I mean by 2. is the RE: and FWD: text that the
> mail system puts at the beginning of the subject line.

> (Real estate can become an issue in that case.)

You're right. No matter how short our tags are -- or even if we didn't
use any -- some combination of mail system and long subject lines could
push text far to the right. I'm not sure whether everyone can just
widen the window in such a case or not. I've never had any problem.

As long as we're proposing standards, we may as well suggest that
subject lines (as well as tags) be kept short.

Arthur