Tests to Select Competent Writers

Subject: Tests to Select Competent Writers
From: Ellen Adams <ellena -at- TOLSTOY -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 10:07:20 CST

Tech Writers,

What about psychological tests? Any other tech writer
have to endure one of those? I was up for a position
as a technical editor with a West Coast-based software
vendor. The company flew me from Austin, Texas out to LA,
where I was interviewed by company bigwigs, given a tour
of the company, and given a four-and-half-hour psychological exam
(administered to me by a medical professional in Tustin, CA).

Sample test question:
What would you rather be?:
a. an accomplished painter earning large sums for your canvases
b. a well-compensated full-back on a winning football team
c. a real-estate salesman winning top awards and commissions

(I believe the answer the company was seeking was B.
It would say: "Team Player." True to my creative nature and
not really a seller or a sports fan, I chose A.)

I guess I flunked, because I flew back to Texas, and never
heard from the company again.

Drug tests are okay. I don't mind; I don't do drugs. But
psychological tests? I detest them. These exams are not a measure of
talent. They're not even a good measure of subservience and loyalty.

Ellen Adams
ellena -at- tolstoy -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com