Needless tests and job inte

Subject: Needless tests and job inte
From: Auli Ingman <Auli -dot- Ingman -at- X400UX -dot- SASKTEL -dot- SK -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 09:12:11 -0600

Needless tests and job interviews
My sympathies to all who have experienced the "treat 'em like cattle" school of
interviewing. I have a theory about why you were treated so cavalierly. The
staff who actually run HR departments probably think that they could qualify for
your job themselves. After all, what can a writer do that they can't? One of you
is soon gonna get this job, at more money than they are making. If they can put
you through the hoops, while they have some power over you, they will. They may
not design the tests, but they certainly control the climate.
(This is not a reflection on my employer, whose interviewing methods are a model
of sensitivity.)