Re: Writing tests

Subject: Re: Writing tests
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 09:52:00 PST

Sounds to me as if you'd be better off with a full time documentation
manager to manage contract technical writers.
===========
At 3:09 PM 3/3/95 -0600, Sherri Hall wrote:
>Marc said:
>> IMHO you should either hire based upon samples, or conditionally hire for
>> 60-90 days and reevaluate. The second choice amounts to entering into a
>> short term contract. It gives both the employer and the writer a chance to
>> strut their stuff...and change their mind.

>I like the contract idea, in theory. However, in reality, our company is
>so understaffed and finding qualified candidates is so tough to begin with
>(St. Louis isn't know for being a mecca for tech writers) that once we
>hire someone, we're stuck with them. In other words, management would
>rather live with a bad choice than re-invest in the hiring/training
>process again. What are others' experiences--from the mgmt side?
>--
>Sherri Hall (shall -at- hilco -dot- com)

=======================
Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius