Re: A Test to Select Comp

Subject: Re: A Test to Select Comp
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 04:35:00 UTC

I'd like to make a comment about the timing of screening tests. I don't
mind sending writing samples if I'm being considered. I do mind being asked
to come in for an interview (1/2 day unpaid time) to take a writing test
when the company is giving it to large numbers of people. If you've
narrowed it down to just a few, I'll write your procedure on how to make a
peanut butter sandwich or tell you how your pencil sharpener works. I'll
make an attempt to take the task seriously. Just be considerate.

I'm not paid when I'm not at work. To know how bad that hurts me, take your
own hourly wage, multiply by 4 (if you're lucky) and ask if a particular job
is worth it.

I once spent 5 hours preparing for and going to a job interview just to
discover that everyone who was remotely qualified was being asked to do a 2-
hour writing and editing test. I had been led to believe that I was coming
for an interview and a little test. As it was, I was handed the test and
told to leave the test with one of the word processors on the way out.
There was no interview. That company (not a small or insignificant one) is
on *my* blacklist.

For one government job I was asked to take a four-hour exam with 98 other
applicants. I passed the test with a high score. I came in another day to
take an oral exam and passed it with a nearly perfect score. I came in for
an interview and thought I had the job in my pocket. Then, after months of
silence, they sent me another form telling me the position had been
reclassified and asking me to come in for another test. The wages for this
job were at the low end of the local pay scale. I thought I showed
remarkable restraint by not replying to the letter. :)

So, the whole point is, if you're going to ask your applicants to take a
written test, please save the test for a select few and do it on the same
day as the interviews.

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com