Re: A Test for Writers

Subject: Re: A Test for Writers
From: Matthew Schenker <Mattschenk -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 22:35:48 -0500

Ron:

Good point about a "writing test" being insulting.

My line of work is grant-writing, and part what I do is meet face-to-face
with foundation people, while the other (greater) part is write proposals.
The perfect "test" for me is a good job interview with the senior
development officer (do I impress you as someone personable enough to be a
representatiuve of this organization?) and the cover letter (is it a
persuasive document, as a proposal would have to be?). My belief is this: as
a professional writer, you're tested all the time because you use language
all the time, and your language is you. Anyone competent enough to LISTEN
will have enough "test" material to decide on your qualifications. If
someone needs a further "test" of your abilities, that person's not getting
it, and is not a good judge of writing and language anyway.

p.s. I'm new to this forum, but already I see that people are writing about
issues I've faced privately for some time. I like it here!!

Matt