Re: What does Eric say?

Subject: Re: What does Eric say?
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 08:02:27 -0600

Sue (and others),
Sorry for the belated message on this.
My gut feeling on a number of these issues:
* Job postings -- always OK (preferably with descriptive
subject).
* Contract position listings -- same
* Ads in context -- OK, usually. If someone asks for
information about a word template to do something,
then a response about the availability of same
would be fine. Random postings of availability of
the same product aren't acceptable.
* Ads related to STC, NTWU, IEEE PCS, etc. Fine.
* Other ads -- absolutely not!
* Humor -- occasionally OK, if related to technical communication, funny,
and tasteful. If humor: postings increase at all, they will probably
go into the verboten list.
* Random, pass this to all of your net.friends postings. Not acceptable.
Ever. I don't care how many cards the urban legend seekers want for
whom. Just don't post them to TECHWR-L.
* Personal messages. Not acceptable.
* Abusive messages. Not acceptable.
* Messages completely unrelated to technical communication.
Not acceptable.

Those are my thoughts on the matter--please address all discussion to me
off-line.

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu

Subject: What does Eric say?
Author: Sue Heim <SUE -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com> at SMTP
Date: 2/23/95 4:49 PM

For what it's worth, and to be honest, I'm really tired of reading
why collectively we should, or should not, post ads and other
information not specifically related to the actual job of technical
writing. Although this is purportedly an unmoderated list (even
though I suspect there are quite a few out there who would love to
assume that position) has anyone thought to ask Eric directly as to
what his views are? Since he *is* the list owner...

I think we should stop, smell the roses, and check out what Eric
thinks.

Eric? The ball's in your court!

Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com

My personal feelings on the subject, should anyone care to read
further, are: If the information that is posted has to do with
technical writing in *any* form (be it a book worth reading, a class
worth taking, a suggestion or tip on how to do something), I am
interested in it. I do not have access to the Web whenever the urge
strikes nor do I have time to surf the variious Web sites to find
information of interest.

BTW, I really wasn't going to post anything, but this has really
gotten out of hand! ...sue