Re: Writing tests

Subject: Re: Writing tests
From: David Demyan <concord -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 11:31:08 -0800

You wrote:

>I'm fairly new at hiring other writers, and I'm interested in some discussion
on
>having job candidates take writing tests. Do most of you who hire writers use
>tests? If so, do you purchase them or do you make them up? What specific skills
>do you test for? Is editing included?

>I look forward to learning from your replies.

>Emily Skarzenski
>Head Technical Writer
>Fastech, Inc. - Broomall, PA
>71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Emily: Please browse the past few days worth of mail on this shared list. There
is a FUROR over tech writer testing. I would throw in my two cents worth: I'm an
accomplished technical writer with 20 some years experience and I have always
refused to take writing tests.

Bottom line: If you enforce testing, you'll miss a lot of good people.

Regards,

Dave Demyan *** Mendem Concord, Inc.
(908) 753-8500 *** One Mountain Blvd.
concord -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com *** Warren, NJ 07059
FAX: (908) 754-8224