<OPINION> Clear subject lines save time

Subject: <OPINION> Clear subject lines save time
From: "Susan C. Galbraith" <CogitoTS -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 13:20:37 -0500

While some people on this list are happy to read and contribute to ongoing
humorous or otherwise off-topic threads, another group complains
about wasted time. There is a similar range of response to advertising
messages.

Rebecca Filardo said:
>If advertisements are posted to the list, the most important >thing to me is
that they say 'ADVERTISEMENT' in the subject >line. Then depending on my
needs I can choose whether or >not I want to read advertisements today.

I have been watching these threads with interest. One person's waste of
bandwidth is clearly the next person's source of amusement, adrenaline
stimulation, or valuable information.

Wouldn't it be handy if all messages had clear subject lines, including
designations such as <ADV> for advertising messages, <???> for inquiries,
<*%!!> for flames and polemic ranting, <$$> for job postings. With all the
professionals on this list, I'm sure we can come up with additional
categories and abbreviations.