Re[2]: Test to select competant Communicators

Subject: Re[2]: Test to select competant Communicators
From: Vince Putman <PUTMV -at- MAIL -dot- SYNTRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 11:02:12 CST

In the mist of such astute writers such as the two named below, I almost
hesitate to say BULL. But there, I said it and here's why:

Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM> wrote:

"Describe your toaster to an audience of engineers."

Surely you have overlooked the key words "audience of engineers". I can
not believe you earn a living in this profession without knowing what to do
when given such explicit instructions. Therefore, with this kind of
insight and your knowledge of a toaster, why is it an insult to write the
obviously needed information? Could it be because you do not have a
technical background to draw from? Hence the difference between Technical
Writers and Writers? Very very few can do both well. None can do it in 20
minutes.

If Robert had said an "audience of housekeepers" what would you write?

Vince Putman in Houston | Most people think new ideas are just
PutmV -at- mail -dot- syntron -dot- com | a criticism of the old ways!!
713-647-7223 FAX 579-7709 | Eschew Gratuitous Obfuscation

Subject: Re: Test to select competant Communicators
Author: Ray Burgess <rburgess -at- TSIB -dot- NL> at INTERNET_MAIL
Date: 3/2/95 10:16 AM

>At 10:00 PM 3/2/95 +1100, Geoffrey Marnell wrote:
>Suppose that there is no accreditation process to help you select a
>technical writer for a new project. Suppose, too, that you want to
>create a simple test
>to help you select the best technical writer from those who apply to your
>advertisement seeking a technical writer to, let us say, create a paper
>user guide to some new accounting software. Suppose, further, that there
>is some possibility that this writer may be asked by your client to create
>on-line
>documentation for that same software. What would you include in such a
>test to help you select the perfect writer?

At 3:00 PM (CET) 2/3/95 Ray Burgess wrote:

I agree with Ron Millar. It is not only insulting its a waste of time. I was
once asked to produce a short description of how a water heater worked. I
was shown the heater in the kitchen of an expensive London office and asked
to provide the desription in 20 minutes. This I did. The comments were that
it was a bit basic and therefore not very good; which was true. I had told
them that 20 minutes earlier. What writer produces the finite work in 20
minutes. Since then I have employed many Technical Authors and made my
decision on previous work and recommendation. For new writers you just look
for a logical and enquiring mind; then sit back and grit your teeth.
Obviously the suitable academic qualifications are necessary.

Thank God they don't ask lumber jacks to demonstrate their work. We'd be up
to ar..s'. in even more paper. Which reminds me, its time to throw another
Author on the fire.

Ray Burgess
Past President. Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators. In UK
Managing Director TSIB.BV. Holland