Re: A Test to Select Competen...

Subject: Re: A Test to Select Competen...
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 10:57:55 -0500

I was somewhat surprised to see this thread, as I believe you'll find that
most large-company human resources departments will *not* permit it. Too
many lawsuits, with the companies who chose to give tests losing.

I worked for one such large company where the writing manager did ask for a
test writing sample. It seemed quite a neutral, reasonable item to me (I
won't claim to have enjoyed it, but I did it); but when HR found out about it
there was a sort of riot. The writing manager was "counseled" and smacked
around quite a bit. It seems that the HR department felt the only "safe" way
to give tests is for HR themselves to administer and rate the test and
provide only RESULTS to the hiring manager; mind you, results would not
include the actual writing sample, only whether it was considered
satisfactory. Not a lot of help to the manager.

Has anyone else had this "fear of torts" experience related to writing tests?
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com