Re: tools-how specific in a hardware manual

Subject: Re: tools-how specific in a hardware manual
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 16:37:30 EST

Kelly Kremin said:

> Finishing a hardware manual. My mgr want me to include specific tools
> in procedures.

It's not a good idea. I did hardware manuals for nearly ten years, and the
only time we would mention a tool by name was when the job required a specific
brand-name product. The hardware manuals at my current employer follow that
same principle.

In addition to the problems that your mechanical engineers point out, your
manager should consider the following. If there is a change to your product,
and it's no longer shipped with "XX" screws installed but with "YY" screws
installed, you'll have to revise your manuals. If you just say "screws", then
it doesn't matter what type of screw.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA