Re: a few questions

Subject: Re: a few questions
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 13:31:00 -0600

E-mail glen -at- softint -dot- com

> > The most important thing you need when you graduate is not the
> > knowledge of a specific tool, but more the willingness to learn.
> > Just approach it with the right attitude, and you'll have no problem
> > convincing someone to give you an opportunity!

> With all due respect, Brad, you are wrong. At least in my experience.
> No one is interviewing *me* based on my willingness to learn.

I agree. People who are willing but not CAPABLE don't stand much of a
chance. Tech writers need to be able to absord a lot of stuff really
fast to be able to produce manuals. Whether they are learning publishing
software, network protocols, or whatever doesn't matter.

What matters is that people fill in holes in their experience/knowledge
when necessary, and have acquired this knowledge in a way that "pleases"
employers. Some people want you to have a degree in a field before they'll
believe you'll know it. Some people with degrees don't know their field.
Other employers demand ON THE JOB experience, and claim, for example, that
using Word Perfect in school is meaningless. Others compare your knowledge
with theirs: if knowledge(yours) < knowledge(theirs) then you = stupid.

I don't necissarily agree with any of these, but I've seen the attitudes,
so don't be shocked when you are labeled ignorant when you really aren't.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?