Working with free-lance/contract writers - help

Subject: Working with free-lance/contract writers - help
From: "Wehausen, Ernst" <ERNST -at- CRONUS -dot- AIINET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 13:25:00 EST

My company is growing very quickly. We make data communications switching
systems for the telecommunications industry -- mostly the telephone
companies. My small department's workload has grown from five or six active
projects to 20 projects (including two new manuals) in the past few months.
Some are now way behind and could affect product production schedules. Too
much work ----- too little time.

I now have to (quickly) hire two or three contract writers to take on some
of these projects.

HELP!
I want these projects to have positive outcomes for all involved. While I'm
use to dealing with my in-house writers, I haven't farmed out a technical
writing project before. I'd like to avoid pitfalls. Therefore, I could use
some tips on how best to deal with contract writers?

What sort of guidelines or materials have you found most helpful in getting
a project started and completeing it on time?

What types of information do contract writers need most?

What should I avoid doing?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

And, If you are in central Ohio and are looking for contract work, send me
your resume.

Ernst Wehausen
Applied Innovation Inc.
5800 Innovation Drive