Re: Whose Fault is the Bandwidth Expended Over Ads?

Subject: Re: Whose Fault is the Bandwidth Expended Over Ads?
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 08:30:13 EST

John Gear talked about the chaos of the early days of radio broadcasting in
the US, and said"

>Here on the net we are almost certainly condemned to repeat this sad
>experience if we do not learn from it.

Very true. I have not read the McChesney book you cited, but as a former
broadcaster I'm familiar with the history of the times. Most people alive
today are unaware that an entire government agency (the Federal Communications
Commission) was set up as a direct result of those problems. Following that
reasoning, if the 'Net continues to become more chaotic as it continues to
grow, we can expect the federal government to create a set of regulations that
will govern behavior.

Not this year, probably not next year, but it -could- happen.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com