Re: Info Mapping

Subject: Re: Info Mapping
From: Jay Cherniak <CHERNJC1_at_TEAPOST -at- TEOMAIL -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:50:12 EST

Re: information mapping

Information mapping was big with my former employer in California. They sent
everybody in the editorial department, and there were 50 of us, to a two-day
class in the subject. I find that where I work now, in Maryland, hardly anybody
has heard of it. I have not used information mapping much, not because I don't
like it but because of the nature of the work I do, which is editing research
papers. Information mapping is intended more for manuals.

I have been impressed with the examples of its use that I have seen. When
done well, it transforms a dull, crowded technical document into an easy to read
display of information. The reader can easily find the parts that are important.

Jay Cherniak
chernjc1 -at- jhuapl -dot- edu
Subject: Info Mapping
From: RSMH -at- aol -dot- com at .APL.and.BEYOND.
Date: 2/18/95 10:41 AM

I would love to here other's opinion on this subject. I'm sure we can have a
lively discussion. I for one have worked with Informaition Mapping and refer
to it has USA Today Documentation. I find myself so caught up in the formula,
I have a hard time actually writing. It seems to me that the creators want to
make a scientific process out writing, and writing, in my humble opinion, is
not a science per se.

Other optinions are welcome.