Re: Using names (was: Who's the author?)

Subject: Re: Using names (was: Who's the author?)
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 07:43:27 +0001

I think this may be a case of being caught on the multiple meanings of
"name." I was thinking primarily of file and variable names, which could
relate to real business situations (e.g., "accounts receivable"). I hate
seeing "foo file" or "bob's dept." as application tags. Too much of an
in-joke. Using a name that's relevant to the program's USE (not its
internal workings) really helps users get a handle on how the program
applies to their situation, according to user feedback I've heard over
the years.

Some posters to this list, however, seem to have meant "name" as
"personal appellation." In this case, I agree you need to use a "real"
name, although I try to use fictitious, androgynous names. (My current
favorite is "Lee Shore." If you're out there, Lee, I apologize.)<g>

Sorry if I misinterpreted the gist of the conversation.

Regards,
Marguerite