Re: Sportscasters and language

Subject: Re: Sportscasters and language
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 10:01:00 -0600

Aside from the 'Leafs" pluralization, why are teams at home "to" another
team? Shouldn't they be at home "with" the other team? Both US and
Canadien sportscasters use the "to" structure.

"At home to" x has also been used to mean willing to recieve x as a vistor. It's
an old usage, perhaps even an aristocratic usage, but I've seen it before
(although typically only in early 20th century novels of manners).

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24