Re: Tech Writing Compensation

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Compensation
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 09:51:44 +0001

On Sun, 12 Feb 1995, Ron Miller wrote:

> Matt Harmon writes:
> As a rule, tech writers aren't compensated very well when compared to
> programmers or other high-skilled professionals.

> The trouble is that we have to take programs that are often poorly designed
> and document in spite of this. I think we should be paid better specifically
> because of this.

My experience is that the advent of design teams has improved the chance
that a tech writer will be able to influence at least the user interface
of programs. I'd rather not get into the internal design issues because
I don't want to BE a programmer again, and I certainly don't want to do
programmer's work at tech writer's pay.

> Are we compensated well, as compared
to the development folks or other highly skilled professionals?

We are compensated according to what companies think they have to pay for
our skills. We do not get as much money as programmers. That's the market
at work. We also get paid a lot better than librarians, who are also
highly-skilled professionals with advanced degrees. That's also the market.