Re: Who's the author?

Subject: Re: Who's the author?
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 09:03:10 +0001

Regarding when you remove the author's name from a revision:

I don't like including the author's name in the first place, although
it's the practice in some companies. If users have a real name in a
company, they're likely to call that person instead of talking to a
(perceived) impersonal help desk. Not that I don't take pride in my work,
but by thte time the calls come in, I'm on another project, and I'd have
to forward the calls to the help desk anyway. If companies want to reward
my authoring skills, I'd sooner they do it with money, not a by-line.

If a document DOES include the author's name, I'd pull the credit line at
the first major revision. At that point, it's no longer the original
author's work, and the original author should not have to take
responsibility (credit or blame) for the changes.

Marguerite