Re: Geography of Frame users/

Subject: Re: Geography of Frame users/
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 09:55:14 EST

Barb Philbrick asked about FrameMaker popularity:

>Is this a regional thing? I get the impression (however wrong it might
>be) that Framemaker is more popular on the West coast than here in the
>Midwest. Does anyone have any better insight into this?

It's very popular in the Boston area, as well. I was job hunting from August
'93 through May '94, and it seemed that FrameMaker skills were the most often
requested DTP package. I didn't have them, and had very little luck in job
interviews. Finally, I signed up for some FrameMaker classes, and after learning
the basics I suddenly started getting picked up for some short term contract
jobs. The FrameMaker skills were also essential for finding my present, full
time job.

Don't be burned up over spending the money on Frame, it's a valuable package
but it may not have caught on in all places.

The bad news: I figure in five years, we'll all be using some DTP package that
may not even exist at this time. Calamus? Never heard of it, but in a couple
of years I may be scrambling to learn it. One never knows.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com