Re: reference--question

Subject: Re: reference--question
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 00:53:00 -0500

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995, Victoria Moore wrote:

> My company is writing a style guide to standardize the look of documents that
> are produced by two departments. To reach a consensus on typesetting and
> layout matters, we need to refer to an outside authority. Currently, we refer
> to some guidelines set up by John McWade in the magazine Before & After. Can
> anyone recommend a reference that gives guidelines for page layout,
> typesetting, and graphics?

Well, Victoria. I have found the following books to be helpful in making
styling decisions:

Science and Technical Writing, A Manual of Style
Philip Rubens, Editor
ISBN 0-8050-3091-3
A bit terse at times, but a good place to check your logic for a given
decision or to look up suggestions for how to handle a particular layout
or content problem.

Print That Works,
The First Step-by-Step Guide that Integrates Writing, Design, and Marketing
By Elizabeth W. Adler
ISBN 0-923521-00-3
A great guide for writing for design considerations, typography
considerations, graphics, page design, etc. An education/short course
for the real world.

Writing Well for the Technical Professions
By, Anne Eisenberg
ISBN 0-60-041829-3
Part I and Part II address your concerns on a basic level, good reference
material for a position paper, good book.

Good luck!

Dan Azlin ** Word Engineers, Technical Writing & Publishing **
dazlin -at- shore -dot- net