Re: Grammar vs Content

Subject: Re: Grammar vs Content
From: Dianne Driskell <ddriskel -at- CS -dot- UTEXAS -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 08:51:24 -0600

This is only my 4th year in the technical writing field.

I have found that when I ask someone to edit something, I need to be very
clear about what type of help I want. That is, do I just want grammar and
punctuation checked, do I want a reading for content, layout, what?

Also, now I ask people what kind of edit they want when they ask
me to edit their papers, newsletters, correspondence, etc.
In the beginning I wasted many hours by assuming
they wanted me to point out everything when sometimes all they
wanted was a quick
check of punctuation, "do you see anything huge wrong with this" kind of
approach. I always point out things that send
what I call red flags up.

Some preliminary questions, have saved me countless hours in the past 2 years.

Dianne Driskell
Publications