ISO 9000

Subject: ISO 9000
From: Sherri Hall <shall -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 12:45:40 CST

> Would anyone care to enlighten me on this particular standard? A bit
> of history would be helpful.

According to one source, the ISO standards were developed in 1987 in
Switzerland. It (they?) then caught on in the European community and finally
the United States. It's only been the past 3-4 years that it's
been a topic of interest in US magazines (if that's an indicator).

Below are some references that helped me understand what ISO standards/
ISO certification means. BTW, my company is
ISO 9001 certified (which is the standards for software houses).

"Get to Know ISO," CONTROL, August 1992.

"A Closer Look at ISO 9241," SIGCHI Bulletin, July 1993 (Vol. 25, No. 3)
NOTE: This 9241 is a specific standards dealing with ergonomic
requirements for VDTs.

"The 'Process' of Obtaining ISO 9000 Certification," INTERCOM, July/Aug 1994.

I'm sure there are a lot of others if you go looking. At least in the
software industry it's become a "buzzword" people are wanting to read
about. Hope this helps.
--
Sherri Hall * May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always
shall -at- hilco -dot- com * at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face ....